Baking Bread : My New Found Love

Early this year (2016), I/ we decided that we would move towards a lifestyle with lesser carbon footprints and so we started segregating our waste. While doing so, I also started to read up ore about doing things yourself, like making most of your stuff at home and I really wanted to try making bread. A very dear couple friend of mine had gifted my husband and me a bread maker as a wedding present :), but we never really got to the perfect recipe until yesterday.

So I looked up recipes and tried my first bread with the store bought yeast, the bubbly kind to which you add warm water and stuff and it was not great!
I was disappointed but did not want to give up that easy, so I stumbled upon instant yeast at Godrej Nature's Basket and that did the trick :), I now tried a second time, this time with this youtube video for reference : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQYxmmWVwBw
The bread was much better but not great! I felt like the dough was too dry.

And then yesterday, I just came back home so tired, I wanted to take my mind off work and do something fun so I decided to give my bread another shot with new measurements and I was so so happy with the outcome, even made a lovely sandwich for work today.







So here is the recipe : 
Ingredients 
Regular Flour or Maida: 150 gms
Whole Wheat Flour : 100 gms
Salt: 5 gms
Sugar: 10 gms
Olive Oil: 10 gms
Instant Yeast: 4 gms
Hot water: 200 gms

In a glass bowl mix all dry ingredients together with the handle of a wooden ladle or a whisk
To this add the oil and water and and mix with the ladle handle and then slowly use your hands to form a nice dough. Do not over do the kneading, it kills the dough
Once done, oil the container used for mixing and place dough and cover with a damp kitchen towel and let the dough have its first rise. Tip * I leave the dough in the microwave so its nice and warm, before I do so , I heat some water for a minute or two so the microwave is warm and cozy. Let the dough rise for 40 mins-60 mins
Once the first rise is complete, take the dough out and knead a little, very gently and shape into the container that you want to bake in , make sure you oil the container before you place the dough. Again cover with a damp kitchen towel and let it rise for at least 90 mins to two hours. You will see a beautiful dough by the end of this
Once you think the dough has risen, pre heat your oven to 200 degree C and then stick in the dough to bake for 25-40 mins, depending on how you like the crust
Take out the bread and let it rest for over and hour before you de-mold it
Lo and behold, the bread is ready :)
HAPPY BAKING.



Comments