The Madrasi


So as stated before I am half madrasi and half mangi and totally love the combination , because I think food from these two parts of India are very diverse and taste yum . My grandmothers happen to be great cooks and my childhood is filled with great memories of mouth watering dishes.
To do my post graduation I decided to move to Pune and I have been staying at a hostel here. This is my first hostel experience and I could cry when I say this ..... But I sure will miss this place.
The coffee shop, the two rooms that I have lived in , the mess ( in the literal sense) , the new market ( read wannabe supermarket alias shop), the chat shop, shree and silver spoons downhill , ravi bhaiya at the canteen, the birthday parties and all my friends. This place has a lot of memories attached.
When it comes to food , for most of us this place ( aka Lavale ) has bad memories . Mostly because the mess served really boring food , but amidst all of it there were certain dishes that emerged clear winners- The vada sambar , the puris and cholle for dinner , their version of Chinese on some days and the kachumber and biryani.
When it comes to eating vadas at restaurants there are quiet a few options. Bangalore has numerous darshinis that happen to be a great place for vadas, the shukh sagars and shiv sagars are good too. I also loved this place called Janata and Modern Cafe near VV Puram .
Pune on the other hand has Vaishali, Roopali , Vadeshwar and Simply idlicious to its credit. I loved the vadai at Murugan Idly shop in Chennai, their version of sambhar is out of this world since its authentic tomato sambar. Most of the restaurants in Matunga in Mumbai do justice to vadas as well. I also came across decent vadas at Sagar Ratna and Saravana Bhavan in cities like Delhi and Chandigarh.
There are lot of places where one can get a plate of vada , but for today I leave you all with an image of the vadas that I had for breakfast !!!! What a tragedy that was !!!!! My journey for good food continues

Comments