Sabudana Kichadi

A trip to Mumbai , some great food , catching up with people that I have not met in a while ( but missed a lot) , shopping like crazy ( then looking for all the nonexistent cash in my account) , a new addiction to the Big bang theory, extreme need for sleep , trip to chikmaglur and more have kept me busy in the last month !

Well I did want to make my life sound exciting but after listing all the above down , I doubt that :) !

So also I am going through this phase where I do not want to cook anything new ! I seem to be repeating all the regular recipes or heating up left overs from the fridge and happen to be quiet disappointed with myself. However I also blame it on a hectic schedule at work and the urgent need for some "me" time. 

In the midst of all of this , I decided to make my version of the Sabudana Kichadi - A dish so simple and so easy to make , blogging about it should be considered an offense ! Since I dont have anything else to share and also because this is my blog I thought of going ahead with the plan.



Ingredients 
Sabudana or Pearl Tapioca : 200 gms 
Boiled potato : 1 big ( cubed )
Onion : 1 small ( diced)
Jeera : 1/2 tsp 
Mustard: 1/2 tsp 
Oil : 1 Tablespoon 
Chilly Powder : To taste 
Salt : To taste 
Amchur: To taste 
Lemon juice : of one lemon 
Salted peanuts : about 30 gms coarsely chopped up

Method 
The most important thing with this dish is soaking the sabudana. Leave it for long in water and it gets soggy , leave it for lesser time and its undercooked . The trick is as follows : Soak the sabudana in water for 30 mins , then completely drain water and leave it in a container with a lid on. In 4 hours , your sabudana is ready to be worked with !
Now heat oil in a pan and add the mustard and wait for it to splutter 
Next goes the jeera 
Then tip in the onions and saute till transparent
Add the chopped potato and the dry masalas 
Saute till the potato is a little crisp 
Now add the sabudana and mix well 
Add the peanuts right at the end 
finish it off with the juice of half a lemon and some fresh coriander (an ingredient that my fridge did not have on this given day , which is why the quintessential element of green is missing in the image !)  

PS : My flatmate claimed that it was really good . My original recipe does not have any onion or masala's and was found to be a little too boring.  

Comments