And the food review begins - Sukka Bhel


So , now that we are aware about veganism and why I decided to become one , let me start with my second passion. My love for good food.
I have always been very critical of food and have been cooking since I was 10.My paternal grand mom has been my biggest support with things like this. I remember making cutlets with her help in Trivandrum. Too much fun that was and I really enjoyed the dish I had managed to make. Since I have mixed origins and because my family has travelled a lot , I have managed to sample different cuisines but still love home cooked food the best.

After 23 years, I can officially pronounce my mother to be the best cook ever and I don’t say this because she is my mother but because I swear by it. She never enjoyed cooked and picked it up after marriage and has done a mind-blowing job of learning things right .Be it her karakorambu, sponge like idlies, muru muru dosas or the moonga gashi, podi, chakko and dalitoy ....all arguments tend to be resolved over food by the Kamaths.

Coming back to the present day scenario, my batch in college made a trip to Loni and Yewat near Pune yesterday and the highlight of the trip was the SUKKA BHEL made at an anjeer farm in rural Maharastra . Making bhel on a carpet was something I never expected to do.... But when 60 odd hands got together in a bhel making fiasco, the outcome was remarkable. Never have I thulped so much bhel in my life.This dish is basically a combination of puffed rice, some boondi , lots of sev, coriander,spices and onions. It is very light and one can keep munching on it all day long.

I tasted Sukka bhel first during a trip to Bombay since the concept of a chutney less bhel is pretty dormant back home. Bangalore and Managlore have a variation called churmuri , but each of them is distinctly different. Available at every nook and corner in Pune , Sukka Bhel is definitely one of my favourites and I am glad I started my food journey with my close friend Sukka Bhel :).... read on .....

Comments