Vegan Tomato and Cow Pea Soup

I make promises and then I barely keep it up. As I inch closer to my 31st birthday, I am promising myself time that lets me do things that I enjoy. I have realized that I have starting trouble. So while I want to write about all the food that I make, I also just have trouble getting started. So the husband and I have been trying to cut down on our wheat and rice intake and stick to more veggies. Watch out for a lot of things that I have been trying in my kitchen .

Tomato and Cow Pea Soup: 
I love tomato soup... especially in this current cold Bangalore weather. I wanted to avoid using potato so I thought of substitutes and came up with the idea of using cow pea. Here is how you can make a portion for two.

Ingredients
Tomatoes ripe : 6-7 medium sized
Garlic Pods: 7-8
Soaked cow peas: one cup (approx 125 grams)
Onions: 1 small chopped fine
Olive oil: as needed
Onion Chives : As needed to garnish
Croutons: As needed

Process 
Blanch tomatoes after washing them well. Peel and set aside to cool down
Pressure cook the cow peas separately. This is a soft legume and does not take too long to cook. Once cooked, let it cool
Blend the tomatoes and cooked cow peas in a blender till smooth. Add water as needed



Once done, run the mixture through a sieve. Do not throw away what gets left behind
In a pan, heat oil and add the chopped garlic and onion and saute till translucent

Tip in the sieved liquid for the soup and let this simmer. Add salt and pepper to taste
Once done, garnish with chives and croutons, your hearty soup is now ready !


With the tomato and cow pea paste that gets left behind once you strain the soup, you can make rotis by adding it to regular dough and kneading with very little water. Add onions, chillies, chopped coriander leaves and caraway seeds to the dough to make a nutritious bread.



Comments