Raw Papaya Salad

Growing up , the fruit I hated the most had to be Papaya! Today, it is just the opposite, I love papaya like crazy and enjoy it on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. So that s my history with papaya and here is the Thai element to the recipe I will be sharing today. 
I am a big fan of the sitcom ,Big Bang Theory and I just love Sheldon :). Off late I have been craving some home made Thai food thanks to all the Thai food I see the guys on the show eat! So this weekend I tried a Thai Raw Papaya Salad vaguely inspired by this recipe
Here is my recipe -
Raw papaya : 1 whole, peeled and grated length wise 
Tomato: 1 small sliced thin , ideally a semi ripe one 
Spring onion leaves: half a cup sliced lengthwise 
Onions: 1/2 a small one sliced very thin 
Green chilly: 1 big chopped fine 
Coriander leaves : only the leaves, whole, washed gently 
Salted peanuts: 50 grams roughly chopped
Dressing
Lemon juice: of half a big lemon 
Soy Sauce Dark: 2 tbsp 
Salt: To taste 
Sugar: A pinch 

Was so eager to eat, could not
 click a very good picture , sowie 

Method 
Mix all the veggies by hand 
Beat the dressing separately and pour over the veggies and toss it all up 
Garnish with peanuts and coriander leaves


Optional : I hear one can add minced garlic to the dish and also include veggies like beans or carrots etc. Will try this the next time. 
Warning: Finding raw papaya seems to be a pain. I picked up a second one that was dark green and firm. When I cut it open it was semi ripe :(. I had to go feed it to a cow since I did not want to leave it in the fridge and wait for it to spoil. It could not be eaten as a fruit since it was quiet hard and raw in a way . 

Verdict : I absolutely loved it , very very refreshing and easy on the palate. I would love to add some raw mango for that extra tang next time around! 





Comments