A dish called Brinjal Bajji

As must be evident by now, I am quiet a foodie. Street food (hygienic ones) being an all time favorite. I meet people on trains and end up having a conversation about a chaat wala somewhere in Bangalore who is no longer to be seen, or a dosa cart that serves the most awesome variety of dosa and so on. 
A very well known place to get some junk food is eat street or kau gali located in V V Puram close to Lalbagh, Bangalore. I spent a good 5 years of my life in an apartment located 3 mins away by walk. I would frequent this street all the time during my school days. Recently, I was visiting my dentist and after my 100th tooth filling and being given stern advise to not eat anything for the next 30 mins I stepped outside the clinic( located on the same street, what are the chances right?) to notice an all new Bajji anna! I walked past and then came back to notice a rather oval shaped bajji. At first I thought it was egg and shrugged but then it struck me. The locality was majorly vegetarian! So I went back and inquired , lo and behold I am told that it is a brinjal bajji. That had to be the best day ever, one bite of that bajji and I knew that we were a match made in heaven. No seriously, it was the best thing I ever had. I have been to the same location several times after, but never found that store :( . 
So I set off to make my self some and I was mighty pleased at the outcome. Here is the recipe. 


Green Brinjals: 8-10 ( ideally the smallest you can get)
Red chilly powder: half a spoon 
Salt: half a spoon 
Ingredients for batter are listed here 


Method 
Wash the brinjals well with the stalks intact 
Silt them as shown in the image 
Mix the salt and chilly powder 
Fill this mixture into the slits that have been made in the Brinjal 
Now dip these brinjals into the batter and deep fry
You could serve them whole or the way I like them: cut into halves with some of the salt and chilly mix sprinkled on top
These are very simple to make and a great way to get people to eat brinjals :) 
Make the slits while keeping the stalks intact 

Fill with the salt and chilly powder 

Deep fry in just enough oil

Serve steaming hot 



Comments