Sundal O Sundal

The name of this post might remind you of the call of celebration "Pongal O Pongal" , the popular harvest festival of TamilNadu. The reason why I give this dish a celebratory name is because I love it so much and find it so comforting every time I have it . 
My parents had a love marriage , my Father a Konkani speaking Manglorean brought up in Chennai and my Mother a true blue tamilian. So food cooked in my house is always a combination of both cultures. An example of a lunch menu would be : Rice , sambar and rasam ,  beans talasne , kadgi podi and more . For those who might not be aware ,sambar and rasam would be tamilian and beans talasne , kadgi podi would be Konkani. 


One such combination and probably my earliest memory of Sundal would be the combination of Buns and Sundal made for breakfast. The sweet fruity taste of deep fried soft , fluffy buns combined with the savory and tangy Sundal. Now I cannot make these home made Mangloree buns , but my mum makes them extremely well. I however have mastered the art of making some yummy sundal and here is the recipe for a simple one .
The humble sundal 
Ingredients 
Chickpeas : 1 cup , soaked overnight and pressure cooked until soft 
Coconut : 1/4 cup grated 
Green Chilies : 1-2 depending on size and the level of spice you prefer 
Ginger : 1 inch stick peeled and chopped
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Curry Leaves : 7-8
Asafoetida : A pinch 
Red Chilies dry : 3 broken into halves
Coriander : 1 tbsp finely chopped
Lemon juice : of half a lemon  

Salt to taste 


Method 
Grind the coconut , green chilies and ginger coarsely in a blender. I have noticed that the dish tastes better when the ground paste is made in a mortar and pestle/manually
Heat oil in a kadai and splutter mustard , then add the curry leaves , asafoetida and red chilies 
Now add the cooked chickpeas and saute for a bit . Add salt 
Tip in the ground paste and mix well 
Add the garnish and serve 

Tada , your sundal is ready. I also make this dish with other legumes, beans etc . Sometime I make it with a mix of different beans and it taste just great ! 



I must add that during summer we top the sundal at home with freshly chopped raw mango pieces and relive the memories of the Tenga-Manga-Patani-Sundal from the beach in Chennai . 

Comments