Rain Rain Dont Go Away !

Ask any Banglorean you know about what is troubling him/her and pat comes the reply : the weather. Honestly of all the years that I have lived in this city , never have I experienced a summer so harsh. 
So when there are unexpected showers , everyone gets excited ( rain became a trend on twitter within seconds) ! How better to celebrate this than with food. It rained at 3 PM yesterday and went on to drizzle well into the night. The weather was just right for one of my favorite snacks : The bhajji/bonda .... I made the dish with leftovers from the fridge and again, I was cooking only for one, although I did manage to please my neighbor with an unexpected evening snack  !
The bonda and pakoda  resting on my table 
Aloo Bonda 
Ingredients 
Boiled and mashed potato : 1 
Turmeric powder : a pinch
Lemon juice : to taste 
Mustard seeds: 1/4 tsp
Green Chilies : 1/2 tbsp finely chopped
Oil: 1 tbsp
Coriander : 2 tbsp finely chopped 
Salt : to taste 


Batter 
Besan/gram flower : 8 tbsp
Salt : a pinch 
Hot oil : 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder : a pinch 
Kindly excuse the clarity , I had a batter soaked right hand ,
shaky left and a grumbling stomach to manage all at once
Method 
Mash the potatoes well
Add salt ,turmeric powder ,green chilies and chopped coriander to the potato 
Heat oil and splutter mustard . Add this to the potato mix and blend well
Add a dash of fresh lime juice and roll into small balls 


Batter 
Mix the flour with salt and turmeric with very little water 
To this add 2 tbsp of hot oil . This helps make the batter crisp ( a tip from my mother )
Add more water to get the right consistency 
Dip the balls in the batter and deep fry for a yummy snack 


Bread Drop Pakoda 
Served with ketchup and my all time favorite Vegan Tea 


So this recipe is my invention and is a favorite since it is quiet flexible in terms of ingredients


Ingredients 
Left over batter from above recipe
Bread crumbs from 2 slices of bread ( brown , white , anything)
Carom seeds/ Ajwain/omam : 1/4 tbsp crushed between your fingers 
Cumin :1/4 tbsp crushed between your fingers
Onion : chopped finely ( 1/2 or 1 depends on your taste buds )
Coriander : 3 tbsp finely chopped 
Green Chilies : 1 tbsp finely chopped
Ginger Garlic paste : a pinch 


Method 
Mix all ingredients to make a thick paste like batter 
Heat oil and use your hands to scoop the batter and just roughly drop chunks of the pakoda into the oil
Fry until golden brown 
You could sprinkle  some chat masala on top 
This recipe is your best bet to ensure that there is no batter wastage :) . Serve hot with Pudina chutney or Ketchup !


Comments

  1. Yummm! I wish someone would make this for me when it rains unexpectedly in Gurgaon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment