Mango Rice with Toasted Eggplant

Yup ,the 7 day Sandwich challenge has been put on hold. Since it is the weekend, I figured  I would give myself a break from bread and eat something with a little more flavor ( No offense to bread lovers). On Saturday I woke up at 11. I had plans to not cook but then my flatmate came and pointed to her growling tummy and I had to relent and enter the kitchen. My maternal grand mom was the one who introduced me to Mango rice. She is like the most awesomest granny to have ! I am sure that everyone thinks that way about their granny but both my grandmothers have distinct personalities however one thing that they have in common is their love for me : pure and uninhibited. My personality today is a result of these two wonderful women ( including my passion for food)  which is why I mention them.



The mango rice and eggplant combination is something that I like to do (under 30 mins especially if you have the rice cooked and ready ). Here is the recipe :

Mango Rice ( Warning , I like it really sour . If you don't then make changes accordingly)

Ingredients 

Cooked Rice : 1 cup
Grated Raw Mango : 1 cup including the peel  (choose a nice firm sour mango)   
Grated coconut : 2 tablespoons
Green chillies : 2 halved
Red chillies : 2 halved
Mustard : 1 teaspoon
Urad dal : 1 teaspoon
Asafoetida : a pinch
Curry Leaves : 4- 5
Salt : to taste
Oil : 2 teaspoons 

Method
Heat oil in a pan , once hot add the mustard and wait till it splutters
Then add the urad dal , hing , curry leaves and chiilies (both)
Turn it to low flame and saute for a bit
Now add the grated mango and saute till the moisture is absorbed which should take about a minute or two
Add the salt and saute for another 30 seconds
Finally add the rice and mix well ( take it off the stove while you do this to avoid overcooking) . Make sure that you are not too harsh while handling the rice or else it will become lumpy. I suggest that you use a fork
Put it back on the stove and add the grated coconut and tada

Toasted eggplant 

Ingredients
Eggplant : 1 big , sliced and halved
Salt : to taste
Chilly Powder: 1 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder: 3/4 teaspoon
Asafoetida : a pinch
Upma Rava/Semolina : 1 teaspoon
Oil : To toast the eggplant

Method
In a bowl mix all the spices, rava and salt
Now add a tablespoon of water . Make sure that you do not make the spice mix to watery
Once you have an even mix add the eggplant pieces and toss them around so all of them get evenly coated
Heat oil on a pan and fry the eggplant on both sides one by one
And your eggplant fry is ready

Comments