Ragi Roti


Breakfast according to me is one of the most exciting meals. My father always enjoys his breakfast and this gene has been passed on. I make this dish when I have to myself a lazy Sunday morning. The dish is very simple and very flexible as well ( like most of my dishes). You could make numerous modifications to it. Here is my basic recipe.

Ingredients
Ragi flour : two cups
Cumin: 2 teaspoons
Grated coconut : one fourth a cup
Dill leaves : half a cup
Chopped onion : one fourth a cup
Grated carrot : optional
Chopped green chillies: 2 tablespoons you could add more if you like it spicy
Water to make the dough

Method
Crush cumin gently with your hands and add it to a bowl. To it add the flour
Now add salt and all the other ingredients except for water
Once all the ingredients are mixed uniformly add water and knead the dough/batter
Heads up : the batter/Dough is going to be wet or rather slightly semi solid. Frankly there is no correct consistency as long as the concoction is not too wet or too dry
For making the roti I use a thin tava. Do not place it on the stove , instead spread oil and pat the roti by hand to make a thin roti. Once flattened out put the tawa/griddle on the stove and let it cook on one side
Once cooked turn over the other side
Serve hot with a tangy chutney

Note : The roti is very filling so plan accordingly. Remenber to cool down the tawa before making the next roti or else it will stick to the tava. I just run the tava under hot water to cool it down.

Comments